Friday, July 27, 2007

I ALMOST FEEL COOL...I'm sitting on the couch typing my blog on my new laptop computer (with Windows Vista...not a Mac), listening to Pandora radio (never mind that it is Josh Groban and Il Divo) finishing my morning yogurt (laced with bran). So the truth is that I'm not really all that cool. :) I just feel that way because I somehow have learned to function on a computer (when it does NOT come naturally). I have learned how to navigate on the internet now and can actually find information that I need. Now, I am enjoying this lovely music.

But just to show how totally uncool I really am, when I was in Best Buy a few days ago to get something tweaked on my new computer that wasn't broken after all, I was asking about a mouse...where they were in the store. My mind went blank on what they were called. All I could think of was turtle or frog:) I was describing what I wanted and told them the words turtle and frog (knowing they weren't the right words). When they realized I was talking about a mouse, it was all they could do to keep from bursting out laughing. Aren't brains weird? I know it isn't just mine. ha!

I'm almost done with my first online course. It is for 16 continuing education units (CEU's) to fulfill the needed 20 required in addition to my RN refresher course that I will be taking in August. It is a very interesting course on Psychosocial Needs of the Aging. I am seeing all kinds of applications to people in my church as well as the two aging adults in our house:) It covers a lot of helpful information re what is normal in terms of memory/forgetfulness, mental status (depression, etc.) as well as a lot of tangible ideas for help in many of the areas affected by the problems of aging...some the result of "maladaptive lifestyle coping choices" made throughout their lives. (Don't you just love semantics? They make horrible things sound so normal. Or to put it another way, they can make insanity sound sane when it is anything but!) That can cover all of us! Whether it is in the areas of lifestyle (alcohol, drug abuse), not having a broadspectrum of friendships in all ages, eating too much or simply not asking for help when you are feeling overwhelmed because you think you should be able to cope.

The one about friendships was really interesting. I see that a lot when women (who statistically outlive their men, often stick with their own age group. At a time when they need their close friends, they are sick or dying as well. Often when they need a good support system, they have no close friends left...and don't even know how to relate to people outside of their age group. (That's where the genius of passages like Titus 2 are so helpful. If we have had a lifestyle of spiritual mentoring throughout our lives, we will have learned how to relate to a variety of ages...and will have close friends across age lines.) How many times have we found that obedience to God's commands is really for our benenfit? This is another one of those times when my nursing courses have helped me with my church ministry. I'm glad to be getting back in the saddle again.

Well, I won't ramble on re the outworkings of this interesting course. I know it will be helpful in real life as well as in relating to many patients. Today, I plan to do a few errands. Then return to my course. I'm almost done! It will be so nice to have 16 CEU's done!! I hope your summer is going well. Mine is almost over. I have all my paperwork done for my trip. The books I want/need are arriving this week. Uniforms are washed and ready. Papers are in a folder. I'm as ready as I can be...for Aug. 10. My last minute trip will be one to the library for a batch of audio books...to keep me awake for the drive. Adieu for now.

2 Comments:

At 1:18 PM , Blogger friendoblu said...

Hi there,

I haven't blogged much b/c haven't had much to tell - very low key summer! I have some camping pics I'll try to send. Otherwise, we've been doing things around the house we didn't have time for during school, catching up with friends, hanging with Blu, reading, exercising, etc.

Glad to hear you're ready to roll on your nursing refresher. Hope you enjoy that.

Love,
K

 
At 6:33 PM , Blogger martha said...

well, you can tell that our summer isn't all that thrilling either:)
i hope i enjoy the refresher too...otherwise it will be a very long 3 weeks! m

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home