Thursday, July 05, 2007

BUSY, BUSY, BUSY...I've been so busy since I got home from General Assembly that I haven't had much time to blog. I decided to take some time right now to do it. Before I forget, I have to tell about something funny, not hilarious, that happened while I was there:)

On Thursday of the that week, we went to a women's activity--lunch and fun "seminars" at Independent Presbyterian Church. One of the seminars was called--"Shop Your Closet" and was led by Alexis Ketchum (I hope I spelled everything right) from Franklin, TN. (She goes to the same church as one of my daughters so I don't want to mess up the information.) It was a great seminar--interesting, funny, enjoyable and helpful. I learned a lot. One thing I learned was that we all can wear belts:) I'll bet you didn't know that did you? Well, she demonstrated it for the cynics in the group (moi) and sure enough! Of course, she is thin as a rail, but she said that if you have a tummy, get a wide belt with a big buckle and don't buckle it tight at your waist, let it sit where it is comfortable (and you don't have to keep adjusting it). Then wear it a little loose so it is almost like a V (not that deep) and the buckle "hides" your belly/bulge and the angle of the belt sort of camouflages it. She showed both ways of wearing the belt and her way worked...don't ask me why...or at least all the reasons why. So since G.A. I have been trying on belts when I walk through stores to see how they look/fit. One of these days I may get brave enough to buy one:) A few of my friends and I were joking afterward that if we all come to G.A. next year and a lot of the ladies are wearing belts, we'll know we have Alexis to thank for her influence on all of us:) She had a lot of helpful stuff on putting clothing capsules together and mix and matching things that you aren't used to mixing as well as looking to see what you need to finish off your wardrobe to make it stretch with less clothes. (How to get the most from your clothing dollar.) I'm glad I went.

Since I returned from G.A., I have been working on sorting and getting rid of a lot of stuff here. I'm getting tired of having a lot of things I can't find a place for and decided that this was the summer to do something about it. My daughters have gotten the help of an organizer for me and I look forward to her coming on Wednesday so she can help me out the quandry of where do I start? in some areas.

Meanwhile, we got started working on retirement plans again for down the road and one of the bug-a-boos is my insurance. Due to my youth (the guffaws can stop now), I will not qualify for medicare until age 65 or 66 and that is about 5 more years. I have just enough health issues that I can't go that amount of time without insurance. So the thought of reactivating my RN license came back to my mind and I started investigating what would actually be involved. Since I haven't worked for more than four years, I will have to get an RN refresher course that would qualify for the state of TX. Tracking down all the leads led me to a program that involves three weeks in the Dallas area (most of August) where I can take the course AND do the clinicals. Now I am up to my ears in paperwork, getting ready for all that has to be done between the Board of Nurse Examiners in TX (for my temporary license), checking on airline tickets and on and on. My brain is a bit fogged. I've gotten most of the important wheels in motion. My study materials are in the mail. By tomorrow, most of my forms should be signed, notarized and on their way. Next week, I'll get my CPR card updated (with the required course) and then I'll just be waiting for replies from everyone...with plenty to do in the meantime. Hopefully, all the details will get worked out such as...should I drive and use our car or fly and rent a car? find a place to stay with someone or stay in a motel with my odd hours...at a high cost? (my shift will be 6 AM-2 PM for the clinicals) There are a LOT of decisions to make and I don't have the wisdom to make them all...nor does Ron. Fortunately, I can depend on Christ for that, but I also will have to slow down and be quiet long enough to listen...not my strength. I need prayer.

6 Comments:

At 6:25 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can check with some of my Dallas contacts as well, if you want. Maybe someone from Dallas or Tyler has a car you could borrow?

 
At 4:05 PM , Blogger TulipGirl said...

Praying it all comes together. If we were in TX, we would love to have you stay with us--even with odd hours. I bet we aren't the only ones who wouldn't mind. . .

 
At 6:22 PM , Blogger martha said...

thanks tulipgirl. we'll see how it all works out. i'll get the full details this week. then i'll know what i need. m

 
At 4:14 PM , Blogger caron said...

sooo...how was the organizer?

 
At 9:33 PM , Blogger martha said...

the organizer was great! she was/is amazingly calm, relaxed, asked me a lot of questions including which areas bothered me the most? she found areas to compliment me. when i got "stuck", she would ask me questions about what i was having trouble making a decision about and we got the whole study cleared away in three hours...including putting the miscellaneous mess away in its proper place! bye the time she left, i had a system to keep the desk clear, the bed that is never used was no longer piled high with stuff i didn't know what to do with and today it still looks great:) i have homework--clear out the closet here (not a major job), clear away the debris in my craft area so that we can come up with a system for that area that has become a catch-all. she doesn't do all the work...b/c in sorting, only YOU can make most of those decisions, but she can give direction and keep me from putting off the decision. it is worth every penny b/c i have been so "stuck" in a few areas that i couldn't seem to make any progress. sorry for the long, rambly answer. i have her card:) m

 
At 1:49 PM , Blogger caron said...

i'm gonna use that card. i'll ask for her services for mother's day or my birthday...once we move into a house. :) sounds lovely! what a great idea from your girls! i love giving good gifts...that idea shot the lid off the tin for me. opened up all sorts of ideas for gifts, though i think my mom would be a good organizer.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home