Saturday, June 02, 2007

SEE THE FOLLOWING ARCHIVED BOOK LIST. I'M JUST GETTING AROUND TO UPDATING IT! Between my mom's death in March, burial in May and the Bible study preparations and meetings in between, I have not had time to catch up on this TBR reading challenge. The other goof I made was in having way too many books on depression and I just was not up to wading through them all. I'm entering my prime reading time now with recent traveling (where I finished one book) and car traveling where I'll probably finish a few more partially done ones.

TBR CHALLENGE! I'VE ENTERED A CHALLENGE FOR 2007 (TO BE READ) TO COMPLETE A BOOK A MONTH...of my choosing, that I've been wanting to read for awhile. The TBR Challenge is here. It wasn't hard to find 12 books I've been wanting to read. Unfortunately, none of them are fiction...or even light reading! I'm WAY behind in NEED TO reading. If I keep up with the challenge, there is a CHANCE that I could win a prize during a drawing in month 3 or 6. Knowing my past history, I won't hold my breath:) Here's my list:
  • Getting Over the Blues-Leslie Vernick
  • Depression: A Stubborn Darkness-Edward Welch
  • Addictions: A Banquet in the Grave-Edward Welch
  • Perfecting Ourselves to Death-Richard Winter
  • Real Love for Real Life-Andi Ashworth
  • To Be Told-Dan Allender-Great! very helpful in sorting thro' floods of memories. MAY
  • When I Don't Desire God-John Piper
  • Simplify Your Time-Marcia Ramsland
  • Too Small to Ignore-Wess Stafford
  • Each for the Other-Bryan Chapell
  • The Way We work-Cynthia Tobias
  • His Word in my Heart-Janet Pope

Alternates:

  • Women Helping Women-Ellyse Fitzpatrick/Carol Cornish
  • Whatever Happened to the Gospel of Grace?-James M. Boice
  • Holiness by Grace-Bryan Chapell
  • The Proper Care and Feeding of Marriage-Laura Schlessinger
  • War of Words-Paul Tripp
  • The Second Half of Marriage-David and Claudia Arp
  • for balance, I must choose some fiction!...and here are my final additions to the list.
  • Miss Julia Hits the Road-Ann B. Ross-funny espec. if you have lived in the south.JA
  • Losing My Mind-Thomas DiBaggio-1st person view of Alzheimer's by atheist-gloomyJA
  • Cry, the Beloved Country- Alan Paton-couldn't get into it. quit.
  • Whose Body?-Dorothy Sayers
  • Under the Overpass-Mike Yankowski
  • Winesburg, Ohio-Sherwood Anderson
  • Till We Have Faces-C.S. Lewis
  • Reaching Out Without Dumbing Down-Marva Dawn
  • either Windows to the World; Triumphs of the Imagination; or Realms of Gold-Leland Ryken

So there you have it. I plan to read 12 of these books this year. I hope I make it. I've been wanting to read some of these books for a few years!! It's time I do it.

One thing that tends to spur me on to action is a need--either mine, that of someone close to me or someone for whom I feel responsible. All go together to motivate me to get the depression books read. Just today, someone I know was taken to the hospital and most likely admitted for a related problem. I need to have a better handle on how to minister to people (frequently women) who struggle in this area. It is very common and is NOT a simple one to deal with. Some of the other books are for personal growth. It would be fun to read a good fiction book. I'll check around and see what I can find to add to the alternative list. I would hate to be off-balance:) (For those who know me, you can keep the sarcastic comments to yourself!) I'd better move along and try to finish this blog so I can get the photo in that I wanted to put into my Christmas blog, so I can enter that one! This traveling (and the sickness that often comes with it!) puts me so far behind. I'll say adieu for now as we start 2007.

2 Comments:

At 11:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cry, the Beloved Country is a great book! I do agree though, it's hard to start. If you ever have time, try again! Also, take a look at Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell. It's a pretty good one.

 
At 12:05 AM , Blogger martha said...

thanks. i had a feeling that at a different time i would have liked the book but i was listening to it and was too distracted or something. i kept losing track of the characters.
that photo is really "you"...especially the nose:) m

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home