Friday, May 19, 2006

TIRED AND WEARY...that's how I'm feeling about now. I love visiting out here in Seattle with my now two grandchildren, but the weariness that comes with a new baby and all the work that entails is now coming back to me in a new way:) Shopping trips take longer than I remembered and often must be cut short for naps (for the older granddaughter) or feeding the younger one. Just getting out of the house in the morning is a major accomplishment! We did laundry yesterday and doing wash and drying it between all the other activities took all day long.
It is certainly worth the effort to do what we are doing. Each child is a delight! Our almost three year old--Caroline--has a mammoth vocabulary and an imagination to go along with it. Tonight she regaled her dad with tales of her day that were quite imaginitive, to say the least! I never know what direction her comments will take. For certain, they will be interesting and unique. She is a wonderful big sister to baby Quinn who tolerates the kissing of the feet and head pretty well. If Quinn starts crying, Caroline comforts her with, "It's okay, your big sister is here." It is quite touching.
Quinn just eats and sleeps with short awake times when she shows us how strong she is. She looks around and pays attention to all that is going on. Like many second-borns, she seems to take it in stride. Noise doesn't seem to phase her much and she doesn't "freak out" if she doesn't get immediate attention.
All in all, this family will do well after I'm gone I'm sure. Of course there will be hard days, but they will do well. My daughter and her husband work well together and enjoy their children. My daughter's in-laws are nearby too and they are extremely helpful. I can't even imagine what that would be like. I've rarely lived near any family.
I will be leaving here this Monday and will be home about 10 days before visiting another daughter and her new baby--who hasn't arrived yet. I'd better call it a day for now and get to bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home