Sunday, October 21, 2007

MY FIRST MEME...I've been tagged by Tara for a meme. Here are the rules: turn to page 161 of the current book you are reading and read the fifth sentence. I am one of a group of people who read more than one book at a time, so I will tell you what I'm reading and why (if there is a reason), then I'll give you the sentence.

The two books I'm reading as I prepare for our Thursday Bible Study are:

1. The Formation of God's People, Israel (from the Adult Biblical Education Series) by Jack B. Scott. (A study of Exodus-Deuteronomy) There are only 142 pages, so I'll quote from that page.

" Moses' warnings to them that they could not ever expect to earn their own righteousness by their works but would surely fail to obey God perfectly, prepared them for broken hearts that would learn to turn to God and to look to Him in faith to provide that need which they had for a new heart that would obey the Lord." (I can hear Tara in the background cheering:)

2. THE UNFOLDING MYSTERY: Discovering Christ in the Old Testament by Edmund P. Clowney. This is a short book following the Old Testament Patriarchs, Moses, David and others and showing how Christ is there (not just in the New Testament). The author pulls so much of Scripture together, it is a joy to read...like seeing a puzzle fall into place.
By taking liberties so this will make sense in its context, this is my quote:

"Will the cry of the Lord's abandoned servant be heard? Yes! After the cry for salvation, David bursts into a vow of praise: I will declare your name to my brothers;
in the congregation I will praise you."

3.This is the book we are reading for our Sunday School class: THE TRUE WOMAN by Susan Hunt. Page 161 doesn't have five sentences. Here is the last one:

"The true woman will unleash her God-given femininity in expressing her love for Jesus with a holy abandon."

4. The last is a book I'm almost finished, but whose author is always very thought-provoking. I took some liberties with this sentence so it would make some sense (sentence 6 makes more sense alone than does sentence five). LEADING WITH A LIMP by Dan Allender.

"We hold on either to what we wish to remember or to what serves us well to recall, and we flee from the parts of our story that most deeply expose and unnerve us."

Here are some of the ones I would like to tag (unlikely that they can fit it in, but it would be fun to hear). Dawn, Holly, Halfpint House/ Megan, Dodo/ Caron, Dawn Treader (if he responds, I'll faint!).

And that's the end of my first meme.

3 Comments:

At 10:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never heard of a meme before, but here it is

A Girl Named Zippy (pg 161 sent 5)

"I was completely unskilled and Dana played so hard her shots often went right off the table, and so I spent a fair amount of time searching the corners of the barn."

 
At 12:24 AM , Blogger martha said...

thanks hol,
i didn't want to bug the people i tagged, so it will probably be awhile b/f the others even see this. i can't wait to read something relaxing. m

 
At 12:57 PM , Blogger friendoblu said...

Hi Marth,
I have heard of being memed, but didn't know the rules. You are so cool to know this :>) I am also one of those people who read several books at a time. I had a good laugh when I looked up what I would have sent. It was all over the place! I'm back to school tomorrow after a v. relaxing week off. Love, baby sis

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home