Wednesday, February 21, 2007

PERSONAL NEWS FOR FEBRUARY CATCH-UP...I have blogged so little in February, I thought I'd update you on what has been happening in a chatty, newsy blog so you can get clued in on our life lately. I'm going to TRY not to get lost in the details because my time will run out on me.
I'll back up to January a bit to give some context to February. Two big events happened in January that were sort of culminations of a dream I have had since we moved here three years ago January--the start of at least a Women's Bible Study for all ages and the development of a women's ministry that would help the whole church (vs. something separate only dealing with women). I think I'll put this in a Journal form and it will be easier to follow.
1/9-Second meeting of our Leadership Team--first real business meeting, start of study of Peacemaking Women by Tara Barthel and Judy Dabler.
1/18-First meeting of our Bible Study--I had expected about 10-15, but 22-25 signed up! ages 16-80+ I would say that our average attendance is 20! I'm dumbfounded.
Our Bible study is on Colossians and involves preparation and discussion. The group has done really well participating. It meets weekly and despite the preparation which is agony and time consuming for me, the lesson is fun.

1/21-Ron's favorite uncle in Talequah, OK passed away at age 93. His death was sudden but not exactly unexpected due to his age and diminishing health. He was alert and able to get around but was getting weaker and weaker. We decided to go to his funeral since so few of the extended family could get there. It was a week after that really bad ice/snow storm in OK/MO and parts of IL. (Some of the motels where we stayed still had a lot of the electric co. people staying there as well as some people without their electricity on yet. It was still VERY cold.) We were glad we went to the funeral and got to see the family. It was about a 10 hour drive. We were there for a few hours and then had to head home. It seemed like we weren't there for very long, certainly compared to the drive, but we were glad we got to go.

2/5-7-Moody Founder's Week-We took a couple of days and went to Founder's Week at Moody Bible Institute in Chicago. We went for the speakers (only the ones we really wanted to hear were later in the week) but we went when we did to hook up with a good friend of Ron's from when he was at Moody...and beyond in some of his other schooling. He and his wife have ministered in Canada for years (where he has always been a citizen). The last we saw them was in the mid-70's! As you can imagine, we have all changed a bit since then. We had a lot of fun together.

Of course, we have had our share of lousy weather, absolutely frigid cold (single digit and sl. below 0 is my definition!) and the most snow since we have moved here. That translates into lots of days staying IN the house. I can't really sew because I have all this studying to do for weekly Bible studies and monthly leadership team so this extrovert has struggled with cabin fever some.

2/17-last weekend a couple from our church that was married at a justice of the peace the first time around, had a renewal of their vows to celebrate their 50th anniversary. Their attendants were the original two!! It was very sweet and a first for Ron.

Now I'm caught up. This weekend will be the church valentine party called Sweets for the Sweet. It should be a lot of fun.

COMING EVENTS: March 2-3--a few of us are going to Covenant Seminary for a Seminar by Diane Langberg called: Behind Closed Doors:The Abuse of Power in Marriage, the Church, and other Relationships. I'm excited partly because of the young women who are going to the seminar and I have found Diane to be an excellent and wise speaker from whom I have learned a lot. I'm glad she will be so close.
The next weekend we are delighted to be going to the baptism of our sweet grandson, Walker, in Franklin, TN. It has taken his parents longer than they had anticipated to find a church home, but now they have found it in Parish Presbyterian Church with George Grant as their pastor. Of course, Walker's grandfather (Ron) will also be able to participate in the baptism as well. He has loved being able to have that privilege so far, with his three grandchildren, thanks to the graciousness of their pastors.
Well, this has been a very informative email. I got my links worked out, so i was able to get you linking all over the place. Blessings to you.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home