Thursday, November 16, 2006

WHAT AN EVENTFUL TWO WEEKS!...I won't be able to cover all that has happened the last two weeks, but it has been very eventful. One major event was that our Leadership Team of ten women met for the first time a week ago Wednesday night. The meeting went very well and I was excited to see the caliber of women I will be working with. They are great! Only one was missing and she had a double whammy that day--the impending birth of her third grandson (following the stillbirth of her second one about 1 1/2 yrs. ago) and her recovery from thyroid surgery that was starting to go south that day. The next day, her grandson was born safe and sound, but she ended up in the hospital with a very high blood pressure and possible stroke. Fortunately, after a few days of tests, medication changes, ruling out of some very bad diagnoses, a day of physical therapy and discharge, she has no diagnosis, but in many ways is improving. She still has a paralyzed lower leg, severe headache and weakness but overall is improving. Since all the follow-up appointments are after thanksgiving (including physical therapy) she will be going to Kansas City to give support to her daughter who will be having surgery there next week.
I was able to spend much of Monday at the hospital with her and parts of some other days when her husband needed to do various errands. It sounds like I'm really sacrificing doesn't it? Well, I'm not. She is my friend and I have enjoyed the chance to be with her. She is from a large family and the sister who normally would have been able to help has been out of town. I'm so glad I was able to be available. I always feel so unnecessary around here which results in worse loneliness. It was nice to be able to be a real help to someone.
I'd better stop for now and get to bed. Tomorrow is Chocolate Days at the Quilt Shop where I sew. They have it once a month and I've had to miss the last few times. I'll get to catch up on my sewing AND have all the chocolate munchies I want + lunch. How is that for a great deal:) martha

2 Comments:

At 12:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

CHOCOLATE DAY AT THE QUILT SHOP!?!
Sounds like heaven on earth! :D
Hope your friend is still doing well. I understand about the hospital...I can't stand to leave anyone I care about alone in the hospital. It just won't DO!
Enjoy your writing! :D

 
At 8:51 PM , Blogger martha said...

she is doing better each day now that she is home! the daily visits from her grandsons help a lot:) seeing you on your motorcycle reminds me of how she and her husband like to ride theirs, but can't now for awhile.
chocolate days is lots of fun, but i talk too much and sew too much to really get that much chocolate eaten:) martha

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home